This site is not optimized for Internet Explorer 8 (or older).
Please upgrade to a newer version of Internet Explorer or use an alternate browser such as Chrome or Firefox.
Danielle A. Smith, M.D.
Chief cardiothoracic surgery resident at Northwestern University (Integrated 6-year program) graduating June 2017. Focused on adult cardiac surgery including CABG, minimally invasive aortic replacement and valve approaches, complex aortic surgery and TAVR. Also with significant training and experience with heart transplant, VAD and ECMO.
Aortopathy in BAV relatives
Peer-reviewed journal articles
Schnell S, Smith DA, Barker AJ, Entezari P, Honarmand AR, Carr ML, Malaisrie SC, McCarthy PM, Collins J, Carr JC, Markl M. Altered aortic shape in bicuspid aortic valve relatives influences blood flow patterns. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2016 Jul 26 [Epub ahead of print].
Smith DA, Gilespie C, DeCamp MM, Bharat A. Disappearing post-pneumonectomy pleural fluid without bronchopleural fistula. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2016 Apr 15;193(8):925-6.
Robich MP, Flagg A, LePar DJ, Odell DD, Stein W, Aftab M, Berfield KS, Eilers AL, Groth SS, Lazar JF, Shah AA, Smith DA, Stephens EH, Stock CT, DeNino WF, Tchantchaleishvili V, Soltesz EG. Understanding why residents may inaccurately log their role in operations: A look at the 2013 in-training exam survey. Ann Thorac Surg. 2016 Jan;101(1):323-8.
Stephens EH, Odell D, Stein W, LaPar DJ, DeNino W, Aftab M, Berfield K, Eilers A, Groth S, Lazar J, Robich MP, Shah A, Smith D, Stock C, Tchantchaleishvili V, Mery C, Turek JW, Salazar J, Nguyen TC. A decade of change: Training and career paths of cardiothoracic surgery residents 2003-2014. Ann Thorac Surg. 2015 Oct;100(4): 1305-14.
Tchantchaleishvili V, LaPar D, Odell DD, Stein W, Aftab M, Berfield K, Eilers AL, Growth SS, Lazar JF, Robich MP, Shah AA, Smith DA, Stephens EH, Stock CT, DeNino WF, Nguyen TC. Predictors of career choice among cardiothoracic surgery trainees. Ann Thorac Surg. 2015 Nov;100(5):1849-54
Ward ST, Smith D, Andrei AC, Hicks GL Jr, Shemin RJ, Calhoon JH, Reed C, Verrier ED, Fullerton DA, Lee R. Comparison of cardiothoracic training curricula: Integrated six-year versus traditional programs. Ann Thorac Surg. 2013 Jun;95(6)2051-4.
- Thoracic Surgery Integrated 6-year Residency Program, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 2011-present
- Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL -- M.D. 2011
- Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP), Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 2004-2009
- Saint Mary’s College of California, Moraga, CA -- B.S. Biology and Chemistry, Magna Cum Laude 2003, Minor: Religious Studies
- Cancer Research Training Award (CRTA) Fellow, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Laboratory of Cellular and Molecular Biology, Bethesda, MD 2003-2004
- Adult Cardiac Surgery
- Congenital Surgery in Adults
- Coronary Disease - Surgery
- Heart Failure
- Intensive Care
- Mechanical Circulatory Assistance
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Transplantation - Heart