This site is not optimized for Internet Explorer 8 (or older).
Please upgrade to a newer version of Internet Explorer or use an alternate browser such as Chrome or Firefox.
Domenico Calcaterra, M.D., Ph.D
Associate Professor University of Minnesota School Of Medicine, Department of Surgery
University of Rome School of Medicine (1992)
Residency in General Surgery, University of Rome School of Medicine (1997)
Ph.D in Surgery, University of Rome school of Medicine (2000)
Residency in General Surgery , Hospital of Saint Raphael, Yale University, New Haven, CT (2005)
Fellowship in Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine (2007)
Fellowship in Surgery of the Aorta,Texas Heart Institute/Baylor College of Medicine (2007-2008)
Assistant Professor, University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine (2008-2012). Director Aortic Surgery Program.
Assistant Professor, Indiana University School of Medicine (2012-2014)
Chief Cardiac Surgery Hennepin Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN (2015-1017)
Off-pump coronary artery by-pass surgery. Surgery of the aorta and aortic valve. Minimally invasive valve and by-pass surgery.
ECMO. Endovascular aortic repair. Thoracic Aortic Surgery. Thoracoabdominal aortic replacement. Aortic Dissections.
1. “Effectiveness of quarterly assessment of CEA, TPA and GICA serum levels in gastric and colorectal carcinomas: Prospective study of 174 patients undergoing radical surgery.” Barillari P, Ricci M, Broglia S, Cerasi A, Calcaterra D, Cioe’ I, Caronna R, Sammartino P. Minerva Chir. 1994;49:953-6.
2. “Results of conservative surgery in T1 breast carcinoma. Our experience in 66 treated cases. P. Barillari, M. Leuzzi, M. Nardi, A. Cerasi, M. Ricci, S. Cesareo, A. Brandimarte, G. Manetti, D. Calcaterra, P. Sammartino.. Minerva Chir. 1994;49; 1083-8:1994.
3. “Video-assisted closed thorax esophagectomy in cancer. A technical proposal. P. Sammartino, A. Bolognese, P. Chirletti, D. Calcaterra, A. Carloni, D. Biacchi, Va.Stipa e V. Stipa. Minerva Chirurgica. 1997; 52(6):697-704.
4. “Video-assisted transhiatal esophagectomy for cancer” P. Sammartino, P. Chirletti, A. Bolognese, D. Calcaterra, M. Cardi, R. Caronna and Va. Stipa. International Surgery 1997; 82:406-410.
5. “Gastrointestinal emergencies in patients with acute intestinal graft-versus-host disease”. P. Chirletti, R. Caronna, W. Arcese A. P. Iori, D. Calcaterra, C. Cartoni, P. Sammartino and V. Stipa. Leukemia and Lymphoma 1998; 29, 129-137.
6. “Case Report of Cardiac arrest, abdominal compartment syndrome, and thoracic aortic injury with endovascular repair of thoracic aortic tear”. RM Stevens, MB Tehrani , D Calcaterra et al. Journal of Cardiac Surgery. 22:358-361, 2007.
7. “A new technique for perfusion of the heart during aortic valvular surgery on beating heart ” D. Calcaterra, M. Ricci, TA. Salerno. J Card Surg. 22:459-464, 2007.
8. “Venous gaseous embolization during endoscopic vein harvesting for coronary artery revascularization. A life-threatening event”. D. Calcaterra, TA Salerno. J Card Surg. 22:498-9, 2007.
9. “Surgery for cardiac valves and aortic root without cardioplegic arrest (“Beating Heart”): Experience with a new method of myocardial perfusion. TA. Salerno, AL. Panos, T. Hong, R. Deslauriers, D. Calcaterra, M. Ricci. J Card Surg 22: 459-64, 2007.
10. “Valve-sparing aortic root remodeling with reinforcement of the proximal aortic suture line”. Calcaterra D, Garcia L, Panos A, Salerno TA, Ricci M. J Card Surg. 2009 Sep-Oct;24(5):539-40.
11. “Treatment of mediastinitis with wound-vacuum without muscle flaps.” Calcaterra D, Garcia-Covarrubias L, Ricci M, Salerno TA. J Card Surg. 2009 Sep-Oct;24(5):512-4.
12. “Acute Mesenteric and Aortic Thrombosis Associated with antithrombin deficiency: A Rare Occurrence.” D. Calcaterra, JT. Martin, A. M. Ferneini and RW. De Natale. Ann Vasc Surg. 2010 Apr; 24(3):415-7.
13. “Reduction of postoperative Hypothermia with a new warming device: a prospective randomized trial in off-pump coronary artery surgery.” D. Calcaterra, M. Ricci, P. Lombardi, K. Katariya, A. Panos, TA Salerno. J Cardiovasc Surg. 2009; 50(6):813-7.
14. “An option for intraoperative placement of IABP in patients with occlusive peripheral vascular disease”. D. Calcaterra, K. Karam, J.Badbajanov, J. Davis. J Thorac Cardio Surg 2011, 141:586-7.
15. "Ascending aortic aneurysm and aortic valve replacement in a Jehovah's Witness patient. A case for reinforced reduction aortoplasty." D. Calcaterra, K. Ueda, S. Hashimi, T. Brown, D. Calva. J Card Surg. 2011; 26:315-5.
16. “Anterior chest ecchymosis from complicated descending thoracic aortic aneurysm.” S. Hashimi, M. Bashir, Y. Suzuki, D. Calcaterra. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2011; 40:28-29.
17. “Endovascular stent grafting of complicated type-B dissection with approach through the innominate artery using a side branch graft”. D. Calcaterra, S. Hashimi, TC. Brown, K. Sharma. Interact Cardiovasc Thoracic Surgery. 2011; 13:205-207.
18. “Ascending aortic graft thrombosis and diffuse embolization from early endoluminal aspergillus infection.” D. Calcaterra, M. Bashir, M. Gailey. Ann Thorac Surg. 2012; 94:1337.
19. “Importance of blood conservation in cardiac surgery and impact on patients refusing blood product transfusions”. D. Calcaterra (Editorial Article) J Blood Disorders Transf 2012; 3:6.
20. “Computed tomography findings in patient with fungal aortitis: acute aortic syndrome secondary to fusariosis”. D. Calcaterra, K. Karam, Y. Suzuki. Interactive Cardiov Thorac Surg. 2013:1-2.
21. “Semi-autologous repair for congenital discontinuous right pulmonary artery”. AY El-Hattab, D. Calcaterra*†, KR Parekh, NP Rossi, JE Davis, JW Turek. Ann Torac Surg 2013; 2230-1.
22. “Normothermic cardio-pulmonary by-pass with beating heart for management of renal cell carcinoma with atrial tumor thrombus”. D. Calcaterra, TE Collins, JW Turek, KR Parekh, K. Ueda, S. Hanada, M. Bashir, JA Brown. Innovations 8:316-319, 2013.
23. “Exposure of difficult left hilum in bilateral sequential lung transplantation”. D. Calcaterra*, M. Bates, JW Turek, K. Parekh. Ann. Thorac. Surg 2014;98:1493-5.
24. “Delayed diagnosis for tricuspid regurgitation after blunt chest trauma”. Zhao H, McCready RA, Fan J, Hu P, D Calcaterra, Ma L. Chin Med J. 2014;127:1794-5.
25. “Real-word outcomes of hemostatic matrices in cardiac surgery”. Tackett S, Calcaterra D; Magee G; Lattouf, O. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2014;28:1558-65.
26. “Technique of aortic root reconstruction using a new model of Dacron graft with prefabricated coronary branches. D. Calcaterra, RS. Farivar, K Parekh, M. Bashir, J. Turek. Innovations 2014;9:451-453.
27. "A Minimally Invasive, Algorithm-Based Approach for Anomalous Aortic Origin of a Coronary Artery". J Turek, K. Parekh, M. Bates, M. Bashir D. Calcaterra. Innovations.2015;10:101-105.
28. “Exposure of difficult left hilum in bilateral sequential lung transplantation”. Calcaterra D, Parek K. Ann Thorac Surg. 2015 Sep; 1132-3. Editorial reply.
29. “A case of papillary aortic fibroelastoma: when bad things come in small packages”. Jazayeri MA, Melling, D, Calcaterra D, Shroff GR. Minnesota Medicine 2016: 48-9.
30. “Navigating the fine line between the bad and the worse: The issue is not in the number, and the message is not “All or Nothing”. Calcaterra D, Renfro LA, Shander A. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2016; 30(5):1159-62.
31. “The use of Topical Hemostats in Cardiothoracic Surgery”. Shander BA, Aronson S, Boucher B, Calcaterra D, Chu M, Culberston R, Jabr K, Kehlet H, Latoouf O, Malaisrie C, Mazer D, Oberhoffer. Ozawa S, Price T, Rosengart T, Spiess B, Turchetti G. Ann. Thorac Surg 2016/544981. Accepted for Publication August 2016.
32. “Why the Delay? Identification of factors which delay diagnosis of acute aortic dissections”. Strauss CE, Tesfaye DK, Brandon RP, Calcaterra D. , Jesse M Manunga, Harris K. Journal of Minneapolis Heart Institute. 2017;1:13-8.
33. “Aortic Root Reconstruction with a new Dacron graft featuring prefabricated coronary side branches”. Calcaterra D, Jazayeri MA, Turek JW, Parekh KR,
Bashir M, Karam K, Farivar RS. Aorta J. 2016-16-23. In press.
34. “Hemodynamic assessment of the root, ascending aorta and arch in relation with risk of rupture after type-A dissection using computational fluid dynamics”. Shestha L, Calcaterra D, Vigmostad SC. Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing. Submitted August 2016.
35 “Cost-consequence analysis of different active flowable hemostatic matrices in cardiac surgical procedures”. Makhija D, Rock M, Xiong Y, Epstein JD, Arnold MR, Lattouf OM, Calcaterra D. J Med Econ. Accepted January 2017.
36 “Computational fluid dynamics assessment of type B dissection as tool to predict evolution of the disease and indicate treatment strategies. Calcaterra D, Shestra L, Vigmostad S, Bashir M, ManungaJ, Harris K. Submitted to JTCVC as 2017 AATS Manuscript.
Content Published on CTSNet
- Basic Science
- Cardiac - Other
- Cardiac Guidelines
- Chest Wall
- Congestive Heart Failure
- Coronary Disease
- Endovascular Techniques
- Extracorporeal Circulation
- Great Vessels
- Heart Failure
- Intensive Care
- Intensive Care Guidelines
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Valve Disease
- Vascular Guidelines