This site is not optimized for Internet Explorer 8 (or older).
Please upgrade to a newer version of Internet Explorer or use an alternate browser such as Chrome or Firefox.
John G. Markley, M.D.
Oncology Research, VA Hosp Sepulveda, CA, 1986-1988
Staff Research Associate, UCLA Oncology 1987-1988
Cardiothoracic Research: Left Ventricular Assist, Myocardial Stunning (Medical College of Wisconsin 1995-1997)
Military: Entered Active Duty Army July 2002, ETS July 2012
MIlitary: OBC July-Sept 2002
Military deployment: 31st Combat Support Hospital, Baghdad, Iraq (Jan04-Aug04)
Military deployment: 47th Combat Support Hospital, Mosul, Iraq (Aug09-Feb10)
Missouri Heart Center, Boone Hospital Center, Columbia, MO: April 2011 through June 2013; June 2015 through present
University of Missouri Hospitals and Clinics, Columbia, MO: September 2003 through Jan 2012; June 2014 through present, Adj Asst Clin Prof
Truman VA Hospital, Columbia, MO: Oct 2002 through present; Chief, Cardiothoracic Surgery September 2013 through present
Military Support of Veterans Hospitals
Minimally invasive valve reconstruction
Domestic Health Care Policy
High End Audio, Music and Home Theater
Thoracic Vascular and Complex Aortic/Arch Surgery
Kathleen (My wife) Joe, Laura and Nicole (my children)
Thoracic Surgery in the Modern Theater of Battle
Adult acquired and adult congenital heart surgery
Civil Disaster Preparedness
Resource utilization and allocation
< Clinical Research Fellowship: Affects of left heart assist on the right ventricle, septum and left ventricular stunning, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Medical College of Wisconsin, July, 1995 through May, 1997.
< Extracurricular Research project using western blotting to identify protease activity from metastatic clones of thyroid cancer, Department of Surgery, Medical College of Wisconsin, October 1991 to December, 1992.
< Senior Elective, Research investigating carbocyanine laser dyes for argon laser photodynamic therapy of human tumor cells in vitro, Department of Surgical Oncology, University of California, Los Angeles, September 1991.
< Staff Research Associate I, Research elucidating the mechanism of Rhodamine‑123 photo-chemo sensitization of human tumors in vitro using Argon Laser photodynamic therapy , Department of Head and Neck Surgery, University of California, Los Angeles, 1987‑88.
< Laboratory Technician, Research project involving purification and characterization of urinary antigens to sarcomas, UCLA Department of Surgery, VA Medical Center, Sepulveda, California, 1986‑88.
- Castro DJ, Saxton RE, Markley JG, et al.: Argon Laser Phototherapy of Human Malignancies Using Rhodamine‑123 as a New Laser Dye: The Intracellular Role of Oxygen. Laryngoscope 1990; 100:884‑891.
- Markley JG and Nicolosi AC.: Effects of Left Heart Assist on Geometry and Function of the Interventricular Septum. Ann Thorac Surg 1996; 62:1752-8.
- Nicolosi AC, Markley JG, Olinger GN. Effects of postischemic left ventricular pressure-volume unloading on contractile recovery and myocardial blood flow in the regionally stunned canine heart. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1999; 118(1):181-8.
- Nicolosi AC, West G, Markley JG, Logan B, Olinger GN: Gadolinium attenuates regional stunning in the canine heart in vivo. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2002; 124: 57-62.
- Gopaldas RR, Tharakan AJ, Dao TK, Markley JG, Schmaltz RA. Glycoprotein IIB/IIIa Inhibitor Infusion Lowers Post-operative Bleeding And Mortality In Patients Undergoing Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting. J Surg Res. 2011 Jan; 165(2): 172-172.
- Gopaldas RR, Dao TK, Markley JG. The impact of surgeon specialty case-mix, volume and surgical technique on failure to rescue, morbidity and mortality following esophageal resections: A 11-year population based study. J Amer Coll Surg, 2011 Sep; 213(3):S41-S42.
- Singla A, Fleming D, Markley J. Atypical Appearance of Cardiac Papillary Fibroelastoma. In Press, Jan 2012.
- Hardaway JC, Bhamidipati CM, Markley, JG (SIC), Gopaldas RR. The Impact of Glycoprotein IIb/IIA Antiplatelet Infusion on the Choice of Revascularization Conduits in Patients Undergoing Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting. J Surg Res. 2012 Jan; 172(2):188.
- Bhamidipati CM, Gopaldas RR, Markley JG, Lutz CJ. Is Aortic Valve replacement in Elderly patient’s Justified? J Surg Res. 2012 Jan; 171(2): 187.
- Gopaldas RR, Dao TK, Caron NR, Markley JG. Predictors of in-hospital complications after pericardiectomy: A nationwide outcomes study. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2013 May; 145(5): 1227-33.
- Phadke G, Whaley-Connell A, Dalal P, Markley J, Rich A. Acute Cardiac Tamponade: An Unusual Cause of Acute Renal Failure. Cardiorenal Med. 2012 May; 2(2):83-86.
- Janzen M, Nichols K, Markley J, Vogel, T, Faizer R. Use of Angio-Seal™ After Iatrogenic Trauma. Missouri Medicine, 2012 Aug; 109(3): 218-8.
- Gopaldas RR, Bhamidipati CM, Dao TK, Markley JG. Impact of Surgeon Demographics and Technique on Outcomes After Esophageal Resections: A Nationwide Study. Ann Thorac Surg. 2013 Mar; 95(3): 1064-9.
- Gopaldas RR, Overbey DM, Dao TK, Markley JG. The Impact of Academic Calendar Cycle on Coronary Artery Bypass Outcomes: A comparison of Teaching and Non-teaching Hospitals. J Cardiothoracic Surg. 2013 Sep 24; 8: 191.
Abstracts, Posters and Presentations
- Markley JG and Nicolosi AC.: Geometry and Function of the Interventricular Septum During Left Heart Bypass in Swine. Fifty Seventh Annual Society of University Surgeons Meeting, Residents’ Session, Washington, DC, February 10, 1996. Presenter: JG Markley.
- Markley JG and Nicolosi AC.: Geometry and Function of the Interventricular Septum During Left Heart Bypass in Swine. Milwaukee Academy of Surgery, Resident’s Night, Milwaukee, WI, March 24, 1996. Presenter: JG Markley.
- Markley JG and Nicolosi AC.: Geometry and Function of the Interventricular Septum During Left Heart Bypass in Swine. Sixteenth Annual Trauma Clinic Day, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, April 16, 1996. Presenter: JG Markley.
- Nicolosi AC and Markley JG.: Rapid resolution of systolic and diastolic dysfunction in regionally stunned myocardium by assisted reperfusion. Circulation 96 (Supp I): I‑372, 1997.
- Nicolosi AC, Markley JG, et. al.: Rapid resolution of regional myocardial stunning by assisted reperfusion. 70th American Heart Association Scientific Sessions, Orlando, FL, Nov 9-12, 1997. Presenter: AC Nicolosi.
- Nicolosi AC, Markley JG, West G, Olinger GN. Attenuation of regional myocardial stunning by antagonism of stretch‑activated ion channels. 37th Annual Meeting, Society of Thoracic Surgeons. New Orleans, LA, January, 2001.Presenter: AC Nicolosi.
- Markley JG, Wells WJ, Horn MV, Starnes VA, Woo MS.: Bronchial anastomosis complications: Comparison between pediatric living donor double lobar lung transplant and cadaveric double lung recipients. International Society of Heart and Lung Transplantation 22nd Annual Meeting and Scientific Sessions, Washington, DC, April 10‑13, 2000. Presenter: JG Markley.
- Markley JG: HIT, HITT, Heparin Alternatives, Cardiopulmonary Bypass. International Medical Lecture Series, 2nd Medical Brigade, Baghdad, Iraq, May 2004.
- Markley, JG: Baghdad and Back: Perspective of a Military Surgeon. General Surgery Grand Rounds, University of Missouri, October 2005.
- Khaja A, Gosavi S, Graham V, Loy T, Markley J, MD, Fay W: Aortic Valve Non-Bacterial Endocarditis in a Patient with Antiphospholipid Syndrome. Missouri Chapter of the American College of Physicians meeting, September 29, 2006.
- Markley, JG: Baghdad and Back: Perspective of a Military Surgeon. Anesthesiology Grand Rounds, University of Missouri, July 2008.
- Markley, JG: Patterns of Injury in Modern Warfare. Surgery Fall Symposium, Hugh E. Stevenson, Jr., MD Department of Surgery, University of Missouri School of Medicine, October 2008.
- Markley, JG: JTTS Clinical Practice Guidelines for Damage Control Resuscitation at Level IIb and III. Task Force 47th CSH CME lecture series,47th Combat Support Hospital, Mosul, Iraq, October 4, 2009.
- Markley, JG: JTTS Guidelines for Vascular Injury. Task Force 47th CSH CME lecture series,47th Combat Support Hospital, Mosul, Iraq, October 20, 2009.
- Markley, JG: Injury Patterns in a Modern Theater of Battle. Task Force 47th CSH CME lecture series,47th Combat Support Hospital, Mosul, Iraq, October 20, 2009.
- Markley, JG: JTTS Practice Guidelines Management of Patients with Severe Head Trauma. Task Force 47th CSH CME lecture series,47th Combat Support Hospital, Mosul, Iraq, November 3, 2009.
- Markley, JG: Management of Airway Injury. Task Force 47th CSH CME lecture series,47th Combat Support Hospital, Mosul, Iraq, December 22, 2009.
- Bhamidipati CM, Gopaldas RR, Markley JG, Lutz CJ. Is Aortic Valve Replacement in Elderly Patients Justified? J Surg Res 2012, 172(2), 187
- Hardaway JC, Bhamidipati CM, Markley JG, Gopaldas RR. The Impact of Glycoprotein IIB/IIIA Antiplatelet Infusion on the Choice of Revascularization Conduits in Patients Undergoing Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting. J Surg Res 2012, 172(2), 188
- Markley, JG: Descending Thoracic Aorta: Aneurysms, Dissections and Transections in the age of TEVAR. Advances in Surgery for Cardiovascular Disease Symposium, University of Missouri Heart and Vascular Center, Columbia, MO August 29, 2015.
- West Torrance HS, Class of 1981
- El Camino College 1980-1981 (Calculus and Music performance)
- UCLA (B.S. in Physics and Biology, 1981-1986)
- Medical College of Wisconsin (M.D., 1988-1992)
- Medical College of Wisconsin General Surgery Residency (1992-1999)
- LAC+USC Cardiothoracic Surgery Resident (1999-2002)
- Military: Entered Active Duty Army July 2002, ETS July 2012
- MIlitary: Officer Basic Course July-Sept 2002
- Constructive Credit for Captains Career Course 2005 (after 1st deployment ot Iraq)