This site is not optimized for Internet Explorer 8 (or older).
Please upgrade to a newer version of Internet Explorer or use an alternate browser such as Chrome or Firefox.
Septal Myectomy and Concomitant Left Ventricular Outflow Tract Intervention for Obstructive Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
This article is part of CTSNet’s Guest Editor Series, “Operative Management of Obstructive Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy—Gold Standard Septal Myectomy to Stand the Test of Time.” Guest editor Eduard Quintana has curated a robust collection of content that shares the knowledge, techniques, and insights of several distinguished experts from around the world. See the full series here.
Septal myectomy for obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is a challenging operation. The ultimate goal is to achieve abolition of the obstruction and restore mitral valve competence. For many patients, surgical septal myectomy alone leads to this desired outcome. However, in some patients there may be associated abnormalities that pose risk for incomplete obstruction resolution. This video discusses several concomitant interventions at different levels of the left ventricular cavity and mitral valve apparatus. Judgmental use of such adjunct procedures may lead to full resolution of obstruction and preservation of the mitral valve. All these concomitant interventions can be performed through the same aortotomy, simplifying and expediting the operation.
- Affronti, A.; Pruna-Guillen, R.; Sandoval, E.; Pereda, D.; Alcocer, J.; Castellà, M.; Quintana, E. Surgery for Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy: Comprehensive LVOT Management Beyond Septal Myectomy. J. Clin. Med. 2021, 10, 4397.
- Balaram, S.K.; Ross, R.E.; Sherrid, M.; Schwartz, G.S.; Hillel, Z.; Winson, G.; Swistel, D.G. Role of Mitral Valve Plication in the Surgical Management of Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. Ann. Thorac. Surg. 2012, 94, 1990–1998, doi:10.1016/j.athoracsur.2012.06.008.
- Klues, H.G.; Roberts, W.C.; Maron, B.J. Anomalous insertion of papillary muscle directly into anterior mitral leaflet in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Significance in producing left ventricular outflow obstruction. Circulation 1991, 84, 1188–1197.
- Sherrid, M.V.; Männer, J.; Swistel, D.G.; Olivotto, I.; Halpern, D.G. On the Cardiac Loop and Its Failing: Left Ventricular Outflow Tract Obstruction. J. Am. Heart Assoc. 2020, 9, e014857
- Schaff, H.V.; Said, S.M. Transaortic Extended Septal Myectomy for Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. Oper. Tech. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg. 2012, 17, 238–250
- Sherrid, M.V.; Adams, D.H. The Mitral Valve in Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy: Other Side of the Outflow Tract. J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2020, 10, 2248–2251.
- Messmer, B.J. Extended myectomy for hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy. Ann. Thorac. Surg. 1994, 58, 575–577.
- Minakata, K.; Dearani, J.A.; Nishimura, R.A.; Maron, B.J.; Danielson, G.K. Extended septal myectomy for hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy with anomalous mitral papillary muscles or chordae. J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg. 2004, 127, 481–489.
- Swistel, D.G.; Sherrid, M.V. The surgical management of obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: The RPR procedure- resection, plication, release. Ann. Cardiothorac. Surg. 2017, 6, 423–425.
- Kwon, D.H.; Setser, R.M.; Thamilarasan, M.; Popovic, Z.V.; Smedira, N.G.; Schoenhagen, P.; Garcia, M.J.; Lever, H.M.; Desai, M.Y. Abnormal papillary muscle morphology is independently associated with increased left ventricular outflow tract obstruction in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Heart 2008, 94, 1295–1301.
- Kwon, D.H.; Smedira, N.G.; Thamilarasan, M.; Lytle, B.W.; Lever, H.; Desai, M.Y. Characteristics and surgical outcomes of symptomatic patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy with abnormal papillary muscle morphology undergoing papillary muscle reorientation. J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg. 2010, 140, 317–324.
- Ferrazzi, P.; Spirito, P.; Iacovoni, A.; Calabrese, A.; Migliorati, K.; Simon, C.; Pentiricci, S.; Poggio, D.; Grillo, M.; Amigoni, P.; et al. Transaortic Chordal Cutting Mitral Valve Repair for Obstructive Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy With Mild Septal Hypertrophy. J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2015, 66, 1687–1696.
- Hodges, K.; Rivas, C.G.; Aguilera, J.; Borden, R.; Alashi, A.; Blackstone, E.H.; Desai, M.Y.; Smedira, N.G. Surgical management of left ventricular outflow tract obstruction in a specialized hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy center. J. Thorac. Cardio- vasc. Surg. 2019, 157, 2289–2299.
The information and views presented on CTSNet.org represent the views of the authors and contributors of the material and not of CTSNet. Please review our full disclaimer page here.