This site is not optimized for Internet Explorer 8 (or older).
Please upgrade to a newer version of Internet Explorer or use an alternate browser such as Chrome or Firefox.
First In Man Implantation of E-vita Open Neo in Hong Kong
Aortic arch disease commonly involves multiple segments, leading to the need for multi-staged procedures. E-vita Open NEO is the latest locally available hybrid device for total aortic arch replacement and frozen elephant trunk procedure. A 60-year-old woman with chronic type B aortic dissection with ascending and arch aneurysm was successfully treated with the E-vita Open Neo branched graft in the authors’ institution. The introduction of the device was made possible with virtual proctoring between Hong Kong and Germany. Within the video, the authors discuss the design of E-vita Open NEO, indications of frozen elephant trunk, perioperative care, and specific surgical techniques.
- Leone A, Beckmann E, Andreas M, Di Marco L, Pantaleo A, Reggiani LB, et al. Total aortic arch replacement with frozen elephant trunk technique: Results from two European institutes, J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, 2020 Apr;159(4):1201-1211.
- Berger T, Weiss G, Voetsch A, Arnold Z, Kreibich M, Ryiski B, et al. Multicentre experience with two frozen elephant trunk prostheses in the treatment of acute aortic dissection, Eur J Cardiothorac Surg, 2019;56(3):572-578.
- Harky A, Fok M, Bashir M. Which is the optimal frozen elephant trunk? A Systematic Review and meta-analysis of outcomes in 2161 Patients undergoing thoracic aortic aneurysm surgery using E-vita OPEN PLUS hybrid stent graft versus Thoraflex™ hybrid prosthesis, Braz J of Cardiovasc Surg, 2020;35(4): 427-436.
- Tian DH, Wan B, Di Eusanio M, Black D, Yan TD. A systematic review and meta-analysis on the safety and efficacy of the frozen elephant trunk technique in aortic arch surgery, Ann Cardiothorac Surg, 2013;2:581–591.
- Jakob H, Idhrees M, Bashir M. Frozen elephant trunk with straight vascular prosthesis. Ann Cardiothorac Surg, 2020;9(3):164-169.
Mohamad Bashir and Heinz Jakob are consultants for CryoLife/JOTEC.
The information and views presented on CTSNet.org represent the views of the authors and contributors of the material and not of CTSNet. Please review our full disclaimer page here.