This site is not optimized for Internet Explorer 8 (or older).
Please upgrade to a newer version of Internet Explorer or use an alternate browser such as Chrome or Firefox.
Surgical Treatment of Zenker's Diverticulum
The authors describe the case of a 64-year-old man presented with disfagia, weight loss, and halitosis over the last three years. The procedure is described step by step, and the postoperative outcome is showed. The patient is symptom-free two years after the surgery.
The aim of this video is to describe the anatomy and the procedure to medical students, residents, and thoracic surgeons with interest in this uncommon condition.
- Ferguson MK. Evolution of therapy for pharyngoesophageal (Zenker's) diverticulum. Ann Thorac Surg. 1991 May 1;51(5):848-852.
- Skinner DB, Altorki N, Ferguson M, Little AG. Zenker’s diverticulum: clinical features and surgical management. Dis Esophagus. 1988 Apr 1;1(1):19-22.
- Lerut T, Van Raemdonck D, Guelinckx P, Dom R, Geboes K. Zenker's diverticulum: Is a myotomy of the cricopharyngeus useful? How long should it be? Hepatogastroenterology. 1992 Apr 1;39(2):127-131.
- Lerut T, Van DR, Guelinckx P, Van PC, Gruwez JA, Dom R, et al. Pharyngo-oesophageal diverticulum (Zenker's). Clinical, therapeutic and morphological aspects. Acta Gastroenterol Belg. 1990;53(3):330-337.
- Lerut T, Coosemans W, Decaluwé H, Decker G, De PL, Nafteux P, et al. Zenker's diverticulum. Multimedia manual of cardiothoracic surgery: MMCTS. 2009 Jan;2009(224):mmcts-2007.
- Migliore M, Payne H, Jeyasingham K. Pathophysiologic basis for operation on Zenker's diverticulum. Ann Thorac Surg. 1994 Jun 1;57(6):1616-1620.
- Migliore M, Jeyasingham K. Oesophageal Diverticula. ESTS textbook of thoracic Surgery. Volume 2; 533-546. Cracow: Medycyna Praktyczna; 2014. Ed. Kużdżał J.
The information and views presented on CTSNet.org represent the views of the authors and contributors of the material and not of CTSNet. Please review our full disclaimer page here.