This site is not optimized for Internet Explorer 8 (or older).
Please upgrade to a newer version of Internet Explorer or use an alternate browser such as Chrome or Firefox.
Andres Obeso, M.D.
Andres Obeso, MD, is a Consultant Thoracic Surgeon at Santiago de Compostela University Clinical Hospital.
Prior to joining Santiago de Compostela University Clinical Hospital, Dr. Obeso was on faculty at Cleveland Clinical Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates) and he was appointed Clinical Associated Profesor at Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine (Case Western Reserve University, Ohio, USA). During his time in different international hospitals, Dr. Obeso completed more than one thousand surgeries, most of them using minimally invasive techniques.
Dr. Obeso holds extensive clinical expertise in Video Assisted Thoracic Surgery. In November 2014, Dr. Obeso performed the world's first nonintubated uniportal thoracoscopic sympathectomy in the context of a fast-track program. Dr. Obeso frequently contributes as a reviewer on more than 15 international peer-reviewed journals and has authored important articles and book chapters. Among his greatest achievements, Dr. Obeso discovered and described a new radiological sign "Earth-Heart Sign", which was published in the in the prestigious medical journal The Lancet. In 2015, The European Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery published his description about a new surgical technique for pulmonary artery reconstruction. Dr. Obeso is interested in surgical innovation and development of new minimally invasive techniques, especially, in the management of Lung Cancer. Dr. Obeso is focused in development and implementation of new hybrid techniques in Thoracic Surgery.
Minimally invasive thoracic surgery
Hybrid procedures in Thoracic Surgery
Non Intubated Thoracic Surgery
INNOVATION & ACHIVEMENTS
- Description of a new surgical technique for pulmonary artery reconstruction using a self-made stapled bovine pericardial graft conduit. Published in the European Journal of CardioThoracic Surgery. January 2015.
- Pionner of the world's first nonintubated uniportal thoracoscopic sympathectomy in the context of a fast-track program. November 2014.
- Discovery and description of a new radiological sign "Earth Heart Sign". Published in the medical journal The Lancet. February 2014.
- Member team in the First single lung transplant in United Arab Emirates. February 2018.
- Member team in the first bilateral lung transplant in United Arab Emirates. March 2018.
- Obeso A, Calvin SH Ng. Electromagnetic navigation bronchoscopy in the thoracic hybrid operating room: a powerful tool for a new era. J Thorac Dis. 2018 Apr; 10 (Suppl 6): S764–S768.
- Obeso A. Selective thoracoscopic intercostal block through a transbronchial aspiration needle: an alternative analgesic tool for pain control after video-assisted thoracic surgery. Pulmonary and Respiratory Medicine International Journal. 2018. Vol 1, Issue 1.
- Obeso A,Tilve A, Jimenez A, Bonatti J. Spontaneous massive hemothorax presenting as a late complication of stent implantation in a patient with pulmonary vein stenosis following radiofrequency ablation for atrial fibrillation. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2018 May 1;26(5):869-872.
- Obeso A,Ramahi J, Jegaden O. Single-Stage Surgical Repair of Pectus Excavatum Combined With Mitral Valve Repair and David Procedure. CTSnet Video (Expert technique). https://doi.org/10.25373/ctsnet.5552530 (Published on October 2017)
- Obeso A,Souilamas R. Unexpected Intraoperative Finding of Azygos Vein Aneurysm Mimicking a Metastatic Lymph Node. Arch Bronconeumol. 2018 Apr;54(4):217.
- Obeso A,Abada H, Souilamas R. Hybrid procedures for pulmonary nodules resection: the beginning of a new era. Arch Bronconeumol. 2018 Apr;54(4):183-184.
- Gobolos L, Ramahi J, Obeso A,Barthel T, Traina M, Edris A, Hasan F, Bonatti J. Robot-assisted totally endoscopic coronary bypass surgery. Indian Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12055-017-0604-0. (Accepted on October 201
- Obeso Carillo GA, Cañizares Carretero MÁ, Padín Barreiro L, Soro García J, Blanco Tuimil L. Nonintubated bilateral single port thoracoscopic sympathectomy in the context of an outpatient program, the least invasive management for hyperhidrosis surgery. Ann Transl Med 2015;3(22):35
- Obeso Carillo GA, Casais Pampín R, Legarra Calderón JJ, Pradas G. Primary pulmonary artery sarcoma: a new surgical technique for pulmonary artery reconstruction using a self-made stapled bovine pericardial graf conduit. European Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery. June 2014 in press.
- Obeso Carillo GA, Rivo Vázquez JE, Fernández Villar A. Prevalence of benign pulmonary lesions excised for suspicion of malignancy: Could it reflect a quality management index of indeterminate lung lesions?. Korean J Thorac Cardiovac Surg. 2014 Oct;47(5):458-64.
- Obeso Carillo GA, Barge Caballero G, Cañizares Carretero MA.. The Earth-Heart Sign: a new diagnostic finding in a patient with tension pneumomediastinum. The Lancet. 2014 Feb; 383(9915):486
- Obeso Carillo GA, García Fontán E. Traumatic massive tension pneumothorax due to a break in the middle lobe bronchus.Emerg Med J. 2014 Nov;31(11):871.
- Obeso Carillo GA, García Fontán E, Cañizares Carretero MA. Giant Thymolipoma: case report of an unusual mediastinal tumor. Arch Bronconeumol. 2014 Dec;50(12):557-9.
- Obeso Carillo GA, Blanco Ramos M, De Castro Parga G, García-Fontán E, Cañizares Carretero MA. Thoracic liposarcoma: resection and chest wall reconstruction. Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann. 2014 Nov;22(9):1112-5.
- Blanco M, Obeso GA, Durán JC, Rivo JE, García-Fontán E, Peña E, Rodríguez M, Albort J, Cañizares MA. Surgical lung biopsy for diffuse lung disease. Our experience in the last 15 years. Rev Port Pneumol. 2013 Mar-Apr;19(2):59-64.
- Obeso Carillo GA, García Fontán EM, Cañizares Carretero MA, Pérez Pedrosa A. Primary pulmonary angiosarcoma, an exceptional neoplasm with a poor prognosis: report of two cases and review of the literature. Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2013 Nov; 61(11):643-7.
- García-Fontán E, Ramos MB, Carillo GA. Cement embolism during a kyphoplasty. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2013 Jul;44(1):183
- Carnero Gregorio M, Obeso Carillo GA, Durán Toconas JC, Villaverde Tabeada C, García Mayor RV, Cañizares Carretero MA, Perez Mendez LF.Assessment of nutritional status of patients candidates for lung resection by 2 methods. Nutr Hosp 2012; 27:558-63.
- Obeso Carillo GA,Blanco Ramos M, García Fontán EM, Pérez Pedrosa A, Gil Gil Perforated pharyngoesophageal diverticulum as a cause of cervical infection with mediastinal extension. Cir Esp. 2012; 90:533-5.
- Durán Toconás JC, Obeso Carillo GA, Cañizares Carretero MÁ.Granular cell tumours: an uncommon endobronchial neoplasm. Arch Bronconeumol. 2011; 47(4):214.
- Carillo GA,Carretero MA, Vazquez JE, Fontan EG, Ramos MB, Ventura JA, Rodríguez AP, Salmon AS, Tejedor JL.Epithelioid angiosarcoma of the lung with pleural metastases: a rare cause of hemoptysis clinicopathological conference. Heart Lung Circ. 2010; 19(10):624-8
- Blanco M, García-Fontán E, Rivo JE, Repáraz JR, Obeso GA, Cañizares MA. Bronchogenic carcinoma in patients under 50 years old. Clin Transl Oncol. 2009; 11(5):322-5.
- Obeso Carillo GA, Rivo Vázquez JE, Cañizares Carretero MA, García Fontán E, Blanco Ramos M, García-Tejedor JL. Solitary pulmonary nodule: primary, metastatic, or both. Arch Bronconeumol. 2009; 45(11):567-9.
Additional Educational Information
Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery. Santiago de Compostela University Medical School (Santiago de Compostela. Spain). (2001- 2007)
Resident of Thoracic Surgery. Vigo University Clinical Hospital (Vigo. Spain) (2008 - 2013)
Predoctoral courses. Program Health Sciences. Vigo University. (2008-2009)
Master in Advanced Studies. Respiratory diseases research. (2009-2010)
Royal Brompton Hospital (London. UK) - Department of Thoracic Surgery. Observership (January 2014).
Mount Sinai Hospital (New York. USA) - Department of Thoracic Surgery. Observership in VATS and surgery of mesothelioma (October - November 2012).
Hospital Nord (Marseille. France) - Department of interventional pulmonology. Internship in rigid bronchoscopy (March - April 2011)
Juan Canalejo Clinical Hospital (Coruña. Spain) - Department of Thoracic Surgery. Internship in VATS and lung transplantation. (2011)