This site is not optimized for Internet Explorer 8 (or older).
Please upgrade to a newer version of Internet Explorer or use an alternate browser such as Chrome or Firefox.
Jo Chikwe, MD, FACC, FRCS, Professor
- 2014 - 2019: Professor of Cardiovascular Surgery, Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Mount Sinai, New York
- 2006 - 2019: Cardiothoracic surgeon, Department of Cardiovascular Surgery; Mount Sinai Hospital, New York
Robotic and minimally invasive cardiac surgery
Mitral and tricuspid valve repair, aortic surgery
Coronary revascularisation: arterial revascularisation, hybrid approaches
Quality improvement and program development
Undergraduate, residency and professional education, faculty development
Research: clinical trials, comparative outcomes, big data
Selected publications (of >100):
- Prosthesis type for aortic- and mitral- valve replacement. Chikwe J, Adams DH, Blackstone E. NEJM. 2018; 378: 778
- On pump coronary bypass surgery: still the gold standard. Adams DH, Chikwe J. JACC. 2018; 71: 992
- Relation of mitral valve surgery volume to repair rate, durability and survival. Chikwe J, Toyoda N, Anyanwu AC, et al. JACC. 2017; 69: 2397
- Trends in infective endocarditis in California and New York State, 1998-2013. Toyoda N, Chikwe J, Itagaki S, Gelijns A, Adams DH, Egorova N. JAMA 2017, 317: 1652-1660
- The Donkey's Shadow. Chikwe J, Adams DH. JTCVS. 2017; 154: 125
- Niche Generation. Chikwe J. JTCVS. 2016; 151: 640-641
- Survival and long-term outcomes following bioprosthetic vs mechanical mitral valve replacement in patients aged 50 to 69 years. Chikwe J, Chiang Y, Itagaki S, Egorova N, Adams DH, JAMA. 2015 313; 1435-42
- Impact of concomitant tricuspid annuloplasty on tricuspid regurgitation, right ventricular function and pulmonary artery hypertension after repair of mitral valve prolapse. Chikwe J. Itagaki S, Anyanwu A, Adams DH. JACC. 2015; 65; 1931-8
- Survival and long-term outcomes following bioprosthetic vs mechanical aortic valve replacement in patients aged 50 to 69 years. Chiang YP, Chikwe J, Moskowitz AJ, Itagaki S, Adams DH, Egorova NN JAMA. 2014; 312: 1323-9
- Megaphone message: Discouraging low-volume mitral surgery. Chikwe J, Adams DH. JTCVS. 2015; 149: 769-770
- Thinking beyond the Tube Graft: using malperfusion as a guide to define treatment of Type A dissection. Stewart AS, Chikwe J, JACC. 2015. 65; 2636-7
Additional Educational Information
Joanna Chikwe MD is The Irina and George Schaeffer Distinguished Professor & Chair of the Department of Cardiac Surgery at Cedars-Sinai Smidt Heart Institute - ranked #1 for Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery by U.S. News & World Report in the region, and #3 in the United States.
Dr. Chikwe graduated in medicine from Oxford University and completed cardiothoracic surgery residency and fellowship training in the UK, becoming a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in 2006.
Content Published on CTSNet
- Minimally Invasive
- Coronary disease
- Aortic valve disease
- Mitral valve disease
- Tricuspid valve disease