This site is not optimized for Internet Explorer 8 (or older).
Please upgrade to a newer version of Internet Explorer or use an alternate browser such as Chrome or Firefox.
Carmine Simone, M.D.
University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario - B.Sc., 1991
McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario - M.D., 1998
University of Toronto - Thoracic Surgery Residency, 2004
Adult Critical Care Fellowship - University of Toronto, 2004
Chief, Department of Surgery
Michael Garron Hospital
Chair, Medical Advisory Committee
1. Tuor U.I., C. Simone and S. Bascaramurty (1992). Local blood-brain barrier in the newborn rabbit: Postnatal changes in a-aminoisobutyric acid transfer within medulla, cortex and selected brain areas. Journal of Neurochemistry 59: 999-1007.
2. Tuor U.I., C. Simone, J.D.E. Barks and M. Post (1993). Dexamethasone prevents cerebral infarction without affecting cerebral blood flow in rats. Stroke 24: 452-457.
3. Tuor U.I., C. Simone, R. Arellano, K. Tanswell and M. Post (1993). Glucocorticoid prevention of neonatal hypoxic-ischemic damage: Role of hyperglycemia and antioxidant enzymes. Brain Research 604 (1-2): 165-172.
4. Tuor U.I., G. Kurpita and C. Simone (1994). Correlation of local changes in cerebral blood flow, capillary density and cytochrome oxidase density during development. Journal of Comparative Neurology 342(3): 439-448.
5. Simone C., L.O. Derewlany, D. Johnson, M. Oskamp, B. Knie and G. Koren (1994). Acetylcholinesterase and butyrylcholinesterase activity in the human term placenta: Implications for fetal cocaine exposure. Journal of Laboratory and Clinical Medicine 123(3):400-406.
6. Simone C., L.O. Derewlany, M. Oskamp, B. Knie and G. Koren (1994). Transfer of cocaine and benzoylecgonine across the perfused human placental cotyledon. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 170 (5, Part 1): 1404-1410.
7. Bradley C.A., M. Iskedjian, K.L. Lanctôt, N. Mittmann, C. Simone, E. St. Pierre, E. Miller, B. Blatman, B. Chabursky and T.R. Einarson (1995). Quality evaluation of economic studies in selected pharmacy, medical and health economics journals. Annals of Pharmacotherapy 29: 681-689.
8. Simone C., B.M. Byrne, L.O. Derewlany and G. Koren (1995). Cocaine inhibits hCG secretion by the human term placental cotyledon perfused in vitro. Life Sciences - Pharmacology Letters 58(5): PL63 - PL66.
9. Simone C., B.M. Byrne, L.O. Derewlany and G. Koren (1997). Transfer of cocaethylene across the human term placental cotyledon perfused in vitro. Reproductive Toxicology 11(2 & 3): 215-219
10. Simone C. and G. Koren (1997). Cocaine clearance by the human term placenta perfused in vitro. Research Communications in Alcohol and Substances of Abuse 17(3 & 4):113-123.
11. Simone C. and K.K.V. Reddy (1998). Prophylaxis against gastrointestinal complications with the administration of dexamethasone: A Canadian survey. Canadian Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 5(3): 155-159.
12. Pastrakuljic A., R. Schwartz, C. Simone, L.O. Derewlany, B. Knie and G. Koren (1998). Transplacental transfer and biotransformation studies of nicotine in the human placental cotyledon perfused in vitro. Life Sciences - Pharmacology Letters 63 (26): 2333-2342.
13. Kopecky E.A., C. Simone, B. Knie and G. Koren (1999). Transfer of morphine across the human placenta and its interaction with naloxone. Life Sciences - Pharmacology Letters 65(22): 2359-2371.
14. Miller J.D., C. Simone, K. Kahnamoui, J. Thomas. W.F. Bennett, J.E. Young and J.D. Urschel (2000). Comparison of videothoracoscopy and axillary thoracotomy for the treatment of spontaneous pneumothorax. American Surgeon 66(11): 1014-1016.
15. Miller J.D., J. Nemni, C. Simone, J.E. Young, W.F. Bennett and J.D. Urschel (2001). Prophylactic intracavitary (pneumonectomy space) antibiotic instillation: a comparative study. Annals of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 7(1) 14-16.
16. von Dadelszen P., L.A. Magee, S.K. Lee, S.D. Stewart, C. Simone, G. Koren, K.R. Walley and J.A. Russell (2002). Activated protein C in normal pregnancy and pregnancies complicated by severe preeclampsia: a therapeutic opportunity? Critical Care Medicine 30(8): 1883-1892.
17. Hynes P., N. Kissoon, C. Hamielec, A. Greene, C. Simone (2006). Dealing with aggressive behavior within the health care team: a leadership challenge. Journal of Critical Care 21(2): 224-227.
18. Dahele M., Y. Ung, J. Meharchand, H. Shulman, R. Zeldin, A. Behzadi, C. Simone, S. Cheng, C. Weigensberg, K. Sivjee (2007). Integrating regional and community lung cancer services to improve patient care. Current Oncology 14(6): 234-237.
19. Kuster S.P., K. Katz, J. Blair, J. Downey, S. Drews, S. Finkelstein, R. Fowler, K. Green, J. Gubbay, K. Hassan, S. Lapinsky, T. Mazzulli, D. McRitchie, J. Pataki, A. Plevneshi, J. Powis, D. Rose, A. Sarabia, C. Simone, A. Simor, A. McGeer (2011). When should a diagnosis of influenza be considered in adults requiring intensive care unit admission? Results from population-based active surveillance in Toronto. Critical Care 15(4): R182.
Additional Educational Information
- Collaboration for Leadership in Critical Care, Niagara on the Lake, ON (September, 2004)
- Health Policy Summit: Integrating services and consolidating advances in Canadian health care delivery (April, 2005)
- Physician Manager Institute – PMI I and II (September, 2005)
- Corporate Coaching Clinic Training Program (May, 2006)
- Surgical Leadership Day: Getting Things Done (April, 2007)
- Advanced Health Leadership Program, Collaborative for Health Sector Strategy, Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto (January – May 2010)
- Quality Improvement Workshop, University of Toronto Centre for Patient Safety (February, 2011)
- University of Toronto Patient Safety Symposium (November 2011)
- Legal and Ethical Issues in End of Life: Making Appropriate Use of Intensive Care (Feb. 2012)
- University of Toronto Patient Safety Symposium (November 2012)
- Fostering Professionalism and Humanism, University of Toronto (September 2015)
- Performing Under Pressure: The Three Conversations of Leadership (November 2015)
- Chest wall
- Critical Care
- Professional Affairs
- Benign disease
- Trachea and bronchi