This site is not optimized for Internet Explorer 8 (or older).
Please upgrade to a newer version of Internet Explorer or use an alternate browser such as Chrome or Firefox.
Priyadharshanan Ariyaratnam, BM BSc (Hons) MRCS MD (res)
NIHR Clinical Lecturer in Cardiothoracic Surgery: 2016-2019
Cardiothoracic National Training Number (NTN)- Yorkshire Rotation, 2015-2021
EACTS Young Investigator Award (Thoracic), Vienna, 2013
EACTS Young Investigator Award (Thoracic), Barcelona, 2012
EACTS Residents Masters (Jeopardy) Winner, Vienna 2017
SCTS Trainees Committee (Yorkshire & Humber Representative) 2016-2018
EACTS Resident's Committee 2017-2020
EACTS Francis Fontan Fund for Education Steering Committee 2018
(1) Ariyaratnam P, Cale A, Loubani M, Cowen ME. Intermittent Cross-Clamp Fibrillation Versus Cardioplegic Arrest During Coronary Surgery in 6,680 Patients: A Contemporary Review of an Historical Technique. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2019 Jul 19. pii: S1053-0770(19)30765-7. doi: 10.1053/j.jvca.2019.07.126. [Epub ahead of print].
(2) Ariyaratnam P, Ananthasayanam A, Moore J, Vijayan A, Hong V, Loubani M. Prediction of Postoperative Outcomes and Long-Term Survival in Cardiac Surgical Patients Using the Intensive Care National Audit & Research Centre Score. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2019 May 27. pii: S1053-0770(19)30497-5. doi: 10.1053/j.jvca.2019.05.034. [Epub ahead of print]
(3) Ariyaratnam P, Hussein N, Cowen ME. Predictors of opioids-on-discharge in Cardiothoracic surgery in over 6000 patients. Ann Thorac Surg. 2019 May 15. Ahead of Print.
(4) Ariyaratnam P. Is It Time for a Perioperative Registry on Pneumonectomy Surgery? Ann Thorac Surg. 2019 Mar;107(3):986.
(5) Ariyaratnam P, McLean LA, Cale AR, Chaudhry MA, Vijayan A, Richards N, Jarvis MA, Haqzad Y, Ngaage D, Cowen ME, Loubani M. Mini-extracorporeal circulation technology, conventional bypass and prime displacement in isolated coronary and aortic valve surgery: a propensity-matched in-hospital and survival analysis. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2018 Jul 1;27(1):13-19
(6) Ariyaratnam P, Tcherveniakov P, Milton R, Chaudhuri N.Is preoperative hypercapnia a justified exclusion criterion for lung volume reduction surgery? Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2017 Feb 1;24(2):273-279.
(7) Ariyaratnam P, Bennett RT, Loubani M, Morice A. Isolated Human Perfused Lung Models to Study Ex Vivo Lung Optimization. Transplantation. 2016 Aug;100(8):e41-2
(8) Ariyaratnam P, Vijayan A, Cale AR, Cowen ME, Haqzad Y, Balasubramanian S, Loubani M. Long-term prognosis and a prediction model for acute bowel ischaemia following cardiac surgery.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg.2015 Sep;21(3):336-4.
(9) Ariyaratnam P, Loubani M, Griffin SC. Minimally invasive aortic valve replacement: Comparison of long-term outcomes.Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann. 2015 Sep; 23 (7): 814-821.
(10) Ariyaratnam P, Loubani M, Biddulph J, Moore J, Richards N, Chaudhry M, Hong V, Haworth M, Ananthasayanam A.Validation of the Intensive Care National Audit and Research Centre Scoring System in a UK Adult Cardiac Surgery Population. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2015 Jun;29(3):565-9
(11) Pattenden HA, Leung M, Beddow E, Dusmet M, Nicholson AG, Shackcloth M, Mohamed S, Darr A, Naidu B, Iyer S, Marchbank A, Greenwood A, West D, Granato F, Kirk A, Ariyaratnam P, Loubani M, Lim E; on behalf of the UK Thoracic Surgery Collaborative.Test performance of PET-CT for mediastinal lymph node staging of pulmonary carcinoid tumours. Thorax. 2015 Apr;70(4):379-81.
(12) Ariyaratnam P, McLean LA, Cale AR, Loubani M. Extra-Corporeal membrane oxygenation for the post-cardiotomy patient. Heart Fail Rev. 2014 Nov;19(6):717-25.
(13) Ariyaratnam P, Loubani M, Cale AR, Chaudhry MA, Cowen ME, Jarvis MA, Griffin SC, Morice AH. The effect of deep hypothermia on the human pulmonary circulation. Journal of Thermal Biology. 2014 Feb; 40: 20-24.
(14) Ariyaratnam P, Loubani M, Griffin SC, Cowen ME, Vijayan A, Jarvis MA, Cale AR. Complex aortic surgery in a regional center in the United Kingdom: Should the UK now adopt a USA-style supercenter model? Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2014 Oct;148(4):1428-1434.
(15) Ariyaratnam P, Loubani M, Morice AH. Hydrogen sulphide vasodilates human pulmonary arteries: a possible role in pulmonary hypertension? Microvasc Res. 2013 Nov 90; 135-137
(16) Ariyaratnam P, Loubani M, Morice AH. Hypoxic Pulmonary Vasoconstriction in Humans.Biomed Res Int. 2013;2013:623684. Epub 2013 Aug 20. Review.
(17) Ariyaratnam P.Twilight of the gods. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2013 Sep;146(3):727-8.
(18) Ariyaratnam P, Bennett RT, McLean LA, Jagannadham KK, Turner E, Griffin S, Chaudhry MA, Loubani M. Antegrade rapid prime displacement in elective coronary artery surgery is associated with lower perioperative blood transfusions and a shorter hospital stay.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2013 Sep;17(3):485-91
(19) Ariyaratnam P, Loubani M, Bennett R, Griffin S, Chaudhry MA, Cowen ME, Guvendik L, Cale AR, Morice AH. Hyperoxic vasoconstriction of human pulmonary arteries: a novel insight into acute ventricular septal defects. ISRN Cardiol. 2013 Mar 31;2013:685735
(20) Ariyaratnam P, Javangula K, Papaspyros S, McCrum-Gardner E, Nair RU.Long-term survival from 801 adjunctive coronary endarterectomies in diffuse coronary artery disease. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2012 Dec;42(6):e140-5.
(21) Ariyaratnam P, Cartwright N, Arnold A, Cowen M. Spontaneous pneumothorax after traumatic pneumonectomy: a role for talc pleurodesis in secondary prevention? Ann Thorac Surg. 2011 Jul;92(1):e7-9
(22) Ariyaratnam P, J Cooke, D Dasgupta, K Wedgwood Benign Pathologies necessitating a Whipple’s procedure: A cautionary tale Journal of Surgical Case Reports 2011 2;7
(23) Ariyaratnam P, Bland M, Loubani M. Risk factors and mortality associated with deep sternal wound infections following coronary bypass surgery with or without concomitant procedures in a UK population: a basis for a new risk model? Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2010 Nov;11(5):543-6. doi: 10.1510/icvts.2010.237883. Epub 2010 Aug 25.
Additional Educational Information
Southampton Medical School: BM (with Distinction) & BSc (1st Class Honors)
Membership Royal College of Surgeons
Anatomy demonstrator (HYMS)
Doctorate in Medicine MD (Research), University of York
Content Published on CTSNet