This site is not optimized for Internet Explorer 8 (or older).
Please upgrade to a newer version of Internet Explorer or use an alternate browser such as Chrome or Firefox.
Cardiac Surgery: Recent Advances and Techniques
Cardiac Surgery: Recent Advances and Techniques
Editors: Narain Moorjani, Sunil K. Ohri, Andrew S. Wechsler
CRC Press, December 2013.
ISBN 9781444137569 208 pages. £85.00/$139.95
Cardiac Surgery: Recent Advances and Techniques is a new book that systematically reviews the contemporary practice of cardiac surgery from minimally invasive CABG to mechanical circulatory support. Edited by three world-leading surgeons, the chapters are contributed by recognised experts and innovators in cardiac surgery, who describe each technique and provide the very latest trial data relating to each new procedure. Each chapter is accompanied by clinical images and artwork to illustrate the techniques described. The book also provides ample references and recommendations for reading to facilitate further study.
The book is intended for anyone involved in the practice of adult cardiac surgery from trainees, residents and fellows who are becoming established in the specialty, through to experienced cardiac surgeons who need to keep abreast of current developments for revalidation or recertification purposes. Cardiologists and cardiothoracic intensive care specialists will also find this book useful to better understand the management of patients undergoing these procedures.
The aims and scope of the book are very well summarised in the foreword reproduced below, which was written by Lawrence H. Cohn, MD, Professor of Cardiac Surgery, Harvard Medical School, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, USA:
Cardiac Surgery: Recent Advances and Techniques is an excellent summary of all of the latest techniques and results of minimally invasive cardiac surgery, endovascular aortic surgery and new therapies for heart failure, including stem cell therapy, left ventricular remodelling and the indications for the rapidly increasing usage of mechanical circulatory support. The authors are well known and are perfectly suited to describing these kinds of advances. Mr. Moorjani (Papworth Hospital, University of Cambridge, England), Mr. Ohri (Southampton University Hospital, England) and Dr. Wechsler (Drexel University, Philadelphia, USA) have organized 12 chapters that cover the entire spectrum of minimally invasive heart surgery, a field that is growing rapidly because of its improved results in patients who recover faster than traditional open operations. All of the authors are experts in the areas they have written about.
The exceptional chapters on surgery of the aorta from Johns Hopkins and the University of Pennsylvania are written by the leaders in the field. Dr. Puskas from Emory has put minimally invasive approaches to coronary bypass surgery into proper perspective as well. There are also excellent chapters on the various catheter-based devices now being used for transapical or transarterial valve implantation, a field that is growing by leaps and bounds. The use of hybrid technology, as well as hybrid operating rooms, one of the great advances in hospital organizations, is also summarized throughout this excellent volume.
In short, Cardiac Surgery: Recent Advances and Techniques does just that by summarizing succinctly and objectively all of the new and modern techniques used in acquired cardiac surgery operations, written by experts in the field promulgating not only their ideas, but presenting the global excellent surgical outcomes as well.
- Minimally Invasive Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery, by Michael E. Halkos and John D. Puskas
- Minimized Extracorporeal Circulation, by Narain Moorjani and Sunil K. Ohri
- Recent Developments in Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation, by Ardawan J. Rastan, Michael A. Borger, Martin Haensig, by Jörg Kempfert and Friedrich W. Mohr
- Aortic Valve Repair, by Joel Price and Gebrine El Khoury
- Minimally Invasive Mitral Valve Surgery, by Hazaim Alwair, Evelio Rodriguez, W. Randolph Chitwood Jr. and L. Wiley Nifong
- Tricuspid Valve Disease, by K. M. John Chan and Gilles D. Dreyfus
- Arrhythmia Surgery, by Lindsey L. Saint, Jason O. Robertson, Richard B. Schuessler and Ralph J. Damiano Jr.
- Valve-Sparing Aortic Root Replacement, by Neel R. Sodha, Kaushik Mandal and Duke E. Cameron
- Endovascular Stent Grafting of the Thoracic Aorta, by Prashanth Vallabhajosyula, Wilson Y. Szeto, G. William Moser, Tyler J. Wallen and Joseph E. Bavaria
- Cellular Cardiomyoplasty and Stem Cell Therapy, by Philippe Menasche
- Left Ventricular Remodelling Surgery, by Lorenzo Menicanti and Serenella Castelvecchio
- Mechanical Circulatory Support, by Stephen Westaby