This site is not optimized for Internet Explorer 8 (or older).

Please upgrade to a newer version of Internet Explorer or use an alternate browser such as Chrome or Firefox.

Surgical Treatment of a Right Ventricular Myxoma

Monday, May 11, 2015

Primary cardiac tumors are benign in 75% of cases, and malignant in the other 25%. Myxoma is the most common benign cardiac tumor. In 95% of these cases, the myxoma tends to be solitary, and appears between the third and sixth decade of life. However, in 5% cases, myxoma occurs in younger patients. In 75% of patients, the myxoma is located in the left atrium. In 10-20% of the cases, the tumor presents in the right atrium. In the remaining cases, the tumor occurs between both ventricles.

Myxoma is usually a round mass with a smooth lobulated surface, arising from the endocardium. Congestive heart failure is the classic presentation of a myxoma, as the tumor obstructs the outflow tract. A myxoma can be approached via minimally invasive surgery. However, in the case of a large complex tumor, standard sternotomy is a necessary technique for complete resection the tumor. This video demonstrates the surgical treatment of a right ventricular myxoma. 

Are you using a mobile device? Download the CTSNet Videos app and watch CTSNet videos conveniently, on the go.

Add comment

Log in or register to post comments