This site is not optimized for Internet Explorer 8 (or older).
Please upgrade to a newer version of Internet Explorer or use an alternate browser such as Chrome or Firefox.
Chia Chuan Liu
Chia Chuan Liu
Dr. Chia-Chuan Liu graduated from China Medical University in 1992, and completed his residency and fellowship training in the Veteran General Hospital-Taipei in 2000. He has a short-term visit to Duke University and Pittsburg Presbyterian hospital in 2007 for more advance minimally invasive surgery about lung and esophageal cancer. He now heads the thoracic surgery division in Sun Yat-Sen Cancer Center, the first cancer specific hospital in Taiwan, and has chaired the minimally invasive committee since 2008 till 2012.
His clinical interest is multimodality and minimally invasive surgery for lung and esophageal cancer. He initiated the VATS forum in Taiwan early in 2005, doing live demonstration surgery for VATS lobectomy and minimally invasive esophagectomy for both Taiwan and foreign chest surgeons, collaborated with other leaders to set up animal lab workshop in Taiwan, and been invited frequently as a foreign speaker in many conferences and training programs in Asia. He is also now further engaged in establishing the “Taiwan Esophageal Cancer Study Group” and published several articles based on a national-wide database – Taiwan Cancer Registry, and on novel single port VATS techniques for lung cancer.
Reviewer - annal of surgical oncology, Disease of esophagus, BMC cancer, Journal of thoracic disease
1. Liu CC. Hsu WH. Li WY. Huang MH. Treatment results of 17 patients with diffuse pleural mesothelioma. Annals of Thoracic & Cardiovascular Surgery. 4(5):233-9, 1998 Oct.
2. Liu CC. Fahn HJ. Li WY. Wu YC. Huang MH. Wang LS. Lymph node metastasis in squamous cell carcinoma of the Intrathoracic esophagus. Chung Hua i Hsueh Tsa Chih - Chinese Medical Journal. 61(2):77-84, 1998 Feb.
3. Wang LS. Chow KC. Liu CC. Chiu JH. p53 gene alternation in squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus detected by PCR-cold SSCP analysis. Proceedings of the National Science Council, Republic of China - Part B, Life Sciences. 22(3):114-21, 1998 Jul.
4. Wang LS. Chow KC. Chi KH. Liu CC. Li WY. Chiu JH. Huang MH. Prognosis of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma: analysis of clinicopathological and biological factors. American Journal of Gastroenterology. 94(7):1933-40, 1999 Jul.
5. Wang LS. Chow KC. Li WY. Liu CC. Wu YC. Huang MH. Clinical significance of serum soluble interleukin 2 receptor-a in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Clinical cancer research. 6:1445-1451, 2000 Apr.
6. Hsu LH, Liu CC, Chen C. Expandable metallic stent (Ultraflexä) in a patient with esophageal carcinoma and tracheal invasion. [Abstract]. Proceedings of Annual Congress of Taiwan Society of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Taipei Taiwan, Dec 9th –10th, 2000, p138
7. Hsu LH. Liu CC. Lin CY. Yen KL. Chan KY. Self-expandable metallic tracheobronchial stent insertion and endobronchial electrocautery with flexible bronchoscopy: preliminary results at a cancer center. J Formos Med Assoc. 101(6):399-405, 2002
8. Tsung SH. Liu CC. Human pulmonary dirofilariasis in Taiwan. J Formos Med Assoc. 102(1):42-45, 2003.
9. Hsu LH. Liu CC. Ko JS. Education and experience improve the performance of transbronchial needle aspiration: a learning curve at a cancer center. Chest. 125(2):532-40, 2004 Feb.
10. Wang KM, Liu CC*, Shih CS, Hsu LH. Extralobar bronchopulmonary sequestration complicated by Nocardia Asteroides infection: a case report. Thorac Med (Taiwan) 2007; 22:367-72
11. Hsu LH*, Ko JS, You DL, Liu CC, Chu NM. Transbronchial needle aspiration accurately diagnoses sub-centimetre mediastinal and hilar lymph nodes detected by integrated positron emission tomography and computed tomography. Respirology 2007; 12, 848–55
12. Yu-Yi Huang, Dong-Ling You, Mei-Hwa Tsou, Chia-Chuan Liu, Pei-Ing Lee. Primary pulmonary pleomorphic adenoma with high uptake of FDG. European Journal of Radiology Extra 62 (2007) 73–76
13. Liu CC, Wang KM, Hsu LH*. Tracheobronchial self-expanding metallic stents in patients with central airways obstruction. J Bronchol 2008; 15:11-16
14. Wang TJ. Shu SH. Lin CW. Chen LF. Lin TC. Chang Chien HS. Chan KY. Lee MY. Wang YA. Huang CJ. Liu CC. Thoracic chordoma: an unusual presentation of the spinal tumor. Am J Med Sci. 335(3):239-41, 2008 Mar.
15. Hsu LH, Liu CC, Nobuyama S, Miyazawa T*. Novel use of a disposable curved stent insertion plastic device for silicone stent placement in patients with limited neck extension. J Bronchol Intervent Pulmonol 2009; 16:15-7
16. Hsu LH, Chu NM*, Liu CC, Tsai SYC, You DL, Ko JS, Lu MC, Feng AC. Sex-associated differences in non-small cell lung cancer in the new era: Is gender an independent prognostic factor? Lung Cancer 2009; 66:262-7
17. Huang CJ. You DL. Lee PI. Hsu LH. Liu CC. Shih CS. Shih CC. Tseng HC. Characteristics of integrated 18F-FDG PET/CT in Pulmonary Cryptococcosis. Acta Radiol. 50(4):374-8, 2009 May.
18. Bing-Yen Wang, Chia-Chuan Liu, Chih-Shiun Shih. Short-Term Results of Thoracoscopic Lobectomy and Segmentectomy fro Lung Cancer in Koo Foundation Sun Yat-Sen Cancer Center. J Thorac Dis 2010; 2:64-70
19. Fang L. Huang CJ. Chuang AY. Tan TD. Liu CC. Chemotherapy-related delayed bilateral spontaneous pneumothorax and lung fibrosis: methotrexate or cyclophosphamide, or both? Clin Respir J. 4(4):254-5, 2010 Oct.
20. Wang BY, Shih CS, Liu CC, Hsieh CC. A simple way of gastric tube reconstruction after minimally invasive esophagectomy. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 39(2011) 786-787
21. Wang BY, Shih CS, Liu CC. Thoracoscopic enucleation of a gastrointestinal stromal tumor of esophagus. The Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgeon. 2011, 59: 184-192
22. Pei-Ing Lee, Dong-Ling You, Chia-Chuan Liu, Chih-Hsun Shih,Ming-Yuan Lee and Yu-Yi Huang. FDG PET in predicting pathologic response and survival after preoperative chemoradiation therapy in esophageal cancer. J Nucl Med. 2011; 52 (Supplement 1):1838
23. Chung-Jen Huang, An-Chen Feng, Wen-Hui Ku, Nei-Min Chu, Chih-Teng Yu, Chia-Chuan Liu, Min-Yuan Lee, Li-Han Hsu, Stella Y.C. Tsai, Chih-Shiun Shih, Chih-Liang Wang. Multimodality Treatment and Long-Term Follow-Up of the Primary Pulmonary Lymphoepthelioma-Like Carcinoma. Clinical Lung Cancer Sep. 2012;359-362
24. Pei-Ing Lee, Dong-Ling You, Chia-Chuan Liu, Chih-Hsun Shih, Ming-Yuan Lee, Yu- Yi Huang. Dual-time Point FDG PET-CT Imaging of Pulmonary Sclerosing Hemangioma Presenting as Solitary Pulmonary Nodule. J. Cancer Res. Pract. 28(3), 107-112, 2012
25. Bing-Yen Wang, Lien Cheng Tsao, Ching-Yuan Cheng, Chih-Shiun Shih and Chia-Chuan Liu. Experience with a simple laparoscopic gastric tube construction. Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery 2013, 8:14
26. Wang BY, Tu CC, Liu CY, Shih CS, Liu CC. Single-Incision thoracoscopic lobectomy and segmentectomy with radical lymph node dissection. Ann Thorac Surg 2013;96: 977–82.
27. Chao-Yu Liu, Bing-Yen Wang, Ming-Yuan Lee, Yu-Chen Tsai, Chia-Chuan Liu, Chih-Hsun Shih. The prognostic value of circumferential resection margin in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma after concurrent chemoradiation therapy and surgery. Journal of the Chinese Medical Association 76 (2013) 570-575.
28. Nai-Liang Li, Chia-Chuan Liu, Skye Hung-Chun Cheng, Chen-Fang Hung, Wei-Ju Lai, I-Fang Chao, Wen-Ling Peng, Chii-Ming Chen. Feasibility of combined paravertebral block and subcostal transversus abdominis plane block in postoperative pain control after minimally invasive esophagectomy. Acta Anaesthesiologica Taiwanica 51 (2013) 103-107.
29. Chao-Yu Liu, Chen-Sung Lin, Chih-Hsun Shih, Chia-Chuan Liu, Single-port video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery for lung cancer. Journal of Thoracic Disease 2014;6(1):14-21.
30. Chia-Chuan Liu. Precise and fast video assisted thoracoscopic bronchial sleeve resection. Journal of thoracic disease. 2014 Oct; 6(10): 1374–1375.
31. Po-Kuei Hsu, Hui-Shan Chen, Shiao-Chi Wu, Bing-Yen Wang, Chao-Yu Liu, Chih-Hsun Shihf and Chia-Chuan Liu. Impact of hospital volume on long-term survival after resection foroesophageal cancer: a population-based study in Taiwan. European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (2014) doi: 10.1093/ejcts/ezu377
32. Li‐Han Hsu, Chia‐Chuan Liu, Jen‐Sheng Ko, Chao‐Chun Chen, An‐Chen Feng. Safety of interventional bronchoscopy through complication review at a cancer center. The Clinical Respiratory Journal. 2014 November, DOI: 10.1111/crj.12225
33. Wang, B. Y., Lin, P. Y., Wu, S. C., Chen, H. S., Hsu, P. K., Shih, C. S., Chao-Yu Liu, Chia-Chuan Liu, and Chen, Y. L. Comparison of Pathologic Stage in Patients Receiving Esophagectomy With and Without Preoperative Chemoradiation Therapy for Esophageal SCC. J Natl Compr Canc Netw 2014;12:1697-1705
34. Huang, C. L, Liu, C.C., Cheng, C.Y., Lin, C. H., Wu, Y. C., & Wang, B. Y. Learning Thoracoscopic Lobectomy in Resident Training. The Thoracic and cardiovascular surgeon. 2014; 62 (8), 690-695.
35.Chia-Chuan Liu, Bing-Yen Wang, Chih-Shiun Shih, Yun-Hen Liu. Subxiphoid single-incision thoracoscopic left upper lobectomy. " The Journal of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery 2014;148(6): 3250-3251
36. Bing-Yen Wang, Chao-Yu Liu, Po-Kuei Hsu, Chih-Shiun Shih, Chia-Chuan Liu. Single-incision Versus Multiple-incision Thoracoscopic Lobectomy and Segmentectomy: A Propensity-matched Analysis. Annals of Surgery 2015; 261(4), 793-799
37. Chia‐Chuan Liu, Bing‐Yen Wang, Chih‐Shiun Shih, Wei‐Cheng Lin. Subxyphoid single-incision thoracoscopic pulmonary metastasectomy. Thoracic Cancer. 2015; 6(2), 230-232.
38. Bing-Yen Wang, Hui-Shan Chen, Po-Kuei Hsu, Chih-Shiun Shih, Chao-Yu Liu, Chia-Chuan Liu, Shiao-Chi Wu. Clinical Impact of the Interval Between Chemoradiotherapy and Esophagectomy in Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma Patients. The Annals of Thoracic Surgery 2015; 99(3): 947-955
39. Hsu Li-Han, Feng An-Chen, Kao Shu-huei, Liu Chia-Chuan , Tsai Stella Y.C., Shih Li-Sun and Chu Nei-Min. Second Primary Lung Cancers Among Breast Cancer Patients Treated with Anti-estrogens Have a Longer Cancer-specific Survival. Anticancer Research 2015; 35(2): 1121-1127
40. Chao-Yu Liu, Chen-Sung Lin, Chia-Chuan Liu. Case report Subxiphoid single-incision thoracoscopic surgery for bilateral primary spontaneous pneumothorax. Videosurgery Miniinv 2015; 10 (1): 125–128
41. Nai Liang Li, Wen-Ling Peng, Chia-Chuan Liu, Chih-Hsun Shih. Comparison of the short-term postoperative results of prone positioning and lateral decubitus positioning during thoracoscopic esophagectomy. Videosurgery and Other Miniinvasive Techniques 2015; 10 (1), 37
42. Po-Kuei Hsu, Wei-Cheng Lin, Yin-Chun Chang, Mei-Lin Chan, Bing-Yen Wang, Chao-Yu Liu, Wen-Chien Huang, Chih-Hsun Shih, Chia-Chuan Liu. Multiinstitutional Analysis of Single-Port Video-Assisted Thoracoscopic Anatomical Resection for Primary Lung Cancer. The Annals of thoracic surgery 2015; 99 (5), 1739-1744
43. Po-Kuei Hsu, Hui-Shan Chen, Bing-Yen Wang, Shiao-Chi Wu, Chao-Yu Liu, Chih-Hsun Shih, Chia-Chuan Liu. Hospital type- and volume-outcome relationships in esophageal cancer patients receiving non-surgical treatments. World J Gastroenterol. 2015 Jan 28; 21(4): 1234–1242.
44. Chen-Sung Lin, Chih-Tao Cheng, Chao-Yu Liu, Ming-Yuan Lee, Mu-Chi Hsiao, Chih-Hsun Shih, Chia-Chuan Liu. Radical Lymph Node Dissection in Primary Esophagectomy for Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma. The Annals of thoracic surgery. available online 20 May 2015.
45. Liu, Chao-Yu, Cheng CT, Wang BY, Shih CH, Liu CC. Number of Retrieved Lymph Nodes and Postoperative Pain in Single-incision and Multiple-incision Thoracoscopic Surgery. Ann Surg 2015; published ahead-of-print.
46. Hwang JY, Chen HS, Hsu PK, et al. A Propensity - Matched Analysis Comparing Survival after Esophagectomy Followed by Adjuvant Chemoradiation to Surgery Alone for Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Ann Surg 2015 [Accepted]
47. Chen HS, Wu SC, Hsu PK, et al. The Prognostic Impact of Preoperative and Postoperative Chemoradiation in Clinical Stage II and III Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinomas - A population based study in Taiwan. Medicine 2015;94:e1002
VATS, MIE, single incision, uniportal VATS, LESS, subxiphoid single incision
Esophageal cancer, lung cancer
Content Published on CTSNet
- Professional Affairs
- Minimally Invasive